Is it just me or did Nintendo make incredibly durable machines? I started thinking about this when I read that one post about the GB that was "covered in filth" and "had acid that leaked in the battery pack thing". I'm actually surprised it DIDN'T work!
I still have all my original Nintendo hardware; everything has survived 2 complete changes of residence. My original GB is 11 years old, and has lived through being dropped down the stairs a few times, as well as numerous other horrors.
I got my NES when I was 7, which would be about 13 and a half years ago, and it's been through absolute hell. I had to keep it in the basement for many many years, and since the one house I was living in was not exactly what you'd call top-of-the-line... I opened up my NES when I was like 15 to discover there was some sort of MOLD growing on the circuit board! But it was easy enough to clean off.
My power switch also failed (on my NES) but that was easy enough to fix. The console is now permanently on, though, so in order to turn it off I have to unplug the AC adaptor from the back :)
Has anyone else had any experience with this sort of thing? Is Nintendo stuff just really hard to kill or was I just lucky?
(The one thing that can get GBs is heat. Don't leave them in a parked car in the summer, or the LCD screen melts. I had this happen once. :D)
"There is a loud SAKRAHAH! and everything turns chartreuse."